Friday, May 18, 2012

Humor Me?

I'm trying to understand at which point did it become okay to use humor as a way to hide the fact that you just said something really amazingly absurdly inappropriate. Although i suppose if I really think about it, it has always been that way, it's something I have encountered my whole life and honestly have been guilty of as well. I'm not trying to scrutinize any one or pass any form of judgements, this is not in my place to do so, but why? I mean i'm not really talking about the little things, for instance people that joke about wanting to date my mom.


Friend: "You're Mom is HOT! Set me up nuh?"
Me: *Not Amused*
Friend: "Don't act like that, I was just joking"


Now I don't doubt that most people are joking, but I know that there are a few who aren't and dismiss this innapropriate comment as a joke. This is something i've learnt to let go of and just laugh along with, because at the end of the day, in the grand scheme of things, It's really not that deep.

See the type of innapropriate "jokes" i'm talking about run on a much higher level. These are things, that when you read them they infuriate you, and leave you wondering how anyone could ever say such a thing. Specifically the inspriation for this note was the image inserted below.
They said what now?

I originally saw this picture for the first time on a friend's wall. She expressed much shock and disbelief about it, as I did when I first saw it. I believe my actual comment was "This can't be real. right?" Now at the time that I said it, I was upset but I wasn't particularly pissed off, see that happened a little later when someone commented and even gave a link to a site providing evidence that this was indeed a hoax.

I would have thought that finding out it was a joke would make me feel a little bit better about it. I was wrong, instead I had the completely opposite reaction, I was more angered than I could have ever imagined I would be. I suppose what really got to me was the response to the picture of people online. Observing how quickly the masses went from in an uproar and angered to tamed and laughing.

We're trained to see the word joke and laugh or not take things seriously, and this is all well and good, I agree we all need a good laugh here and there, but at what point have we crossed the line in our attempts to make make people laugh? To me this "hoax" instead of making the sounds of laughter burst out of my mouth, left nothing but a bad vile taste. It simply at no point was or is funny. When we encourage things like this to go on, when we allow people to say and do things that are innapproriate and let them get away with it from the time they say "joking" we are also training ourselves to accept things that should NEVER be accepted.

 Rise above the Ignorance!
Much Love • Much Light

No comments:

Post a Comment